Wednesday, March 3, 2021

WOYWW #613

Good Wednesday all my crafty friends!! Well.....somebody went MIA last week......any guesses (*wink)? Yep, life.....life just rolled right on by last week and I hadn't a minute to spare!! LOL That's pretty bad! LOL  But this week I'm heading on over to Julia's Stamping Ground to give a little peaksies to my desksies!! Come on over to check out all the other lovely crafters! :)

So my last turn up here, I might have shown the chaos of my desk, with goodies of course, but it's still a hot mess, except it does have a mess of projects on it!! I'm at it with my dot arting and having a great time. But today my desk reflects that I can't keep my mind on one thing at a time. I think I have discussed before that I may be working on something and start thinking about something else and have to put the work in progress to the side to work on the newest thing that has popped up in the old noggin!! It's terrible and I'm terrible!! LOL  I wish I could say that, that might change somewhere in the future, but I'm thinking that's a big NOPE! LOL  So here's the photo as it was last night.

Projects, projects, projects!!!!

So three of the projects that I am working on are being given a sneak peek here. I'm not through with either one, bringing to the surface my aforementioned problem! LOL Anywho, to the left, is a wooden canvas board with a dot pattern on it. As I was following along with someone else's pattern, I'm not sure I am through with it. They were using different tools than I have and my proportions didn't come out as theirs so geographically speaking, I feel like I have too much space left as you can see by my gridline patterns still showing. Not sure if I will stop or add to it yet?

Then to the right is a dot owl that I am working on. This one got put to the side for the project in the middle, but mainly because I couldn't decide where to go next in my mind.  I always draw my initial pattern on the piece, but sometimes it drifts. LOL Anywho, I will get back to it. BUT, the piece in the middle has been heavy on my mind and I wanted to get started on it. It is a sugar skull for my daughter!!

Remember I told you that my sister had a list of wood pieces to cut out for me on her docket?  Well, this is one of the pieces! I have been wanting to do a sugar skull dot art for awhile. So far, I have only prepped it with sanding and several coats of paint. I always draw my pattern out first on just plain paper and then depending on the background, transfer to the piece with either graphite or chalk paper. So you can see his beginnings here! I just can't wait to get this done for her! Below, you can see all the pieces I had my sister cut out for me. I got quite a few in each pattern, which means.....I have my work cut out for me!! LOL



Lastly, this is what I was working on really late last night. I cleared off the mess and made way for this background page that was then cut into ATC's.  I am now a member in three, yes three swap groups for ATC's. The problem is, I said I wasn't going to do that this year, but here I am!! LOL I couldn't help myself because two of them I was asked to join, so I felt so honored that I couldn't say no! LOL Oh well, it's all arty fun isn't it? I haven't a clue where I am going with this background, but I got to get my thinking cap going though because two sets have to be at their designation by the 15th!!! Yes, I do this to myself!! And no, I shan't complain, because of the previous statement! LOL

ATC's in the making!!!

So last week my taxes came in...hip hip horrayyyyyyy!!! Not sure if you file taxes across the pond, but that's our yearly task in February. I do mine (well my lovely assistant does mine...hee hee) online and so it comes back pretty quickly!! I got back a good bit this year, so enough to FINALLY get me a new phone, a new vacuum, wahooooo, and still put some into my savings!! The phone was great, but I was really stoked about the new vacuum! Life made so much simpler right????? So yay me!

So right now in my state in the general assembly, we are fighting to have House Bill 290 passed. This bill brings a lot of controversies, but if passed into law, the legislation would prevent hospitals and nursing homes from putting a policy in place to keep family members away from patients and residents during a declared health emergency like the most recent COVID-19 pandemic. Trust me, I understand why it was put into place, to keep those people safe, however, so many like me, have not seen their loved one in almost a year. My mother lives in a nursing home. Or, so many people lost a loved one in the hospital and did not even see them before they passed. I think it's inhumane for the person in the hospital as well as the one on the outside desperate to see them that one last time! There are so many good arguments either way, so I will not get into them as we all have our own opinions. But for me, I will be the first one to throw a party when and if it passes! 

As my own mother is one who has been living with these conditions, I can fully say that I know she will be the better when it passes. She sits in her four-walled room 24 hours a day 7 days a week and can't leave her room.  Imagine that being you? She can't go out of her room and no one can go see her. Now imagine that for a year!!!!!!!! Her whole countenance has changed since this whole thing has started. She has lost so much weight and really doesn't feel like she is here for anything anymore!!! She has had four of her friends die around her since this has started. I'm simply desperate for this bill to pass so that we can physically go see her and possibly touch her and bring life back to her body!! If it passes, it won't be effective until July 1st, but I will take what I can get! We will be able to see her for two hours a day!! We live an hour away from her, so that won't be possible for me daily because I work, but I will be able to at least go back to seeing her on the weekends like I used to!! I miss my mother!

I MISS MY MOTHER!!!!

Well, my friends. Here's hoping you have a wonderful Wednesday and fabulous rest of your week! I will do my best to pop on over to everyone's blog. We have a Council meeting this week and as our COVID numbers have gone down considerably, we will finally be opening our building to the public with restrictions of course.  So I will be preparing for that. Blessings to you all and I hope you are all continuing to stay safe and healthy!

19 comments:

  1. Hi Felicia. You certainly have got plenty going on there this week - three projects on the go, lots more ready to star. I do understand your concerns over visiting. It is, or at least, has been, the same over here. Things are moving slightly in the right direction - one person can be nominated to visit the one in a care home. Have to wear protection; can hold hands; but no hugging! Hard. I can't wait to give my girls and grandies a HUGE hug. I have only seen the family twice since February 2020. I know they are safe in Jesus' hands, but there is a fair amount going on emotionally and physically with one half of my family, which means a visit and a hug would be precious.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #4

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were missed last week Felicia but life does get in the way, I know that myself but your back today Hooray!!! Your dot painting is keeping you very busy and yes isn't when you are deep down doing something that another idea comes to mind.. It doesn't take much to derail my train of thought at the moment I must say. You should treat yourself to a lazy Susan so you can spin your work around as you are dotting, it can be quite a strain on the wrist when holding that dotting tool tightly. The sugar skull will look awesome.
    It's \mother's Day here in the UK on 14th March (a week earlier this year..) There will be many people still unable to see their dear Mother's on this day. Here's to life lifted and back to as normal as possible safely very soon... Hang in there lovely.
    WoywW Hugs Tracey #14 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you last week, Felicia! You made me laugh at this "start thinking about something else and have to put the work in progress to the side to work on the newest thing" well, yes that sounds kinda familiar, which is why I like working fast - preferably in one sitting - anything I put aside unfinished is likely to stay unfinished! Love your dot projects - the mandala especially - so pretty! I bet it's even prettier in real life. I'm sure you'll make something great with that masterboard. 3 swap groups - my goodness - I don't think I could keep us with just one - then again it must be wonderful getting all those ATCs sent to you in return - and the more you send, the more you receive! Hope you can see your mom soon - I didn't realise people are locked up 24/7 in a room. Can you not talk to her online with the help of carers? I know it's not the same thing, but it's much better than nothing! I think we're at the end of the tunnel now with this whole Covid thing - the vaccines seem to be working. Have a lovely week, faraway friend! xx zsuzsa #22

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great background for your ATC's that you've started there. I know what you mean about going back and forth with projects. Now that I'm free-er to choose what I create I am working hard on getting some older projects finished but I still keep getting distracted by new projects, mostly that I get inspired by with WOYWW!! Stay safe and keep smiling, Lisa-Jane #7

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Felicia, I hope that the bill gets passed too, it’s shocking how people in homes have deteriorated so quickly when they haven’t been able to see family and friends. And I understand how you want to make the most of time, it’s so important. Sending you a big old massive hug.
    And I get it about the vacuum too, these things just make life easier! Hooray for your tax rebate that made it possible for you to get it. I can just imagine the dot art for the Sugar Skull, I bet it’ll look amazing!
    Hugs LLJ 8 xxx
    PS I missed you last week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the bill gets passed - it's the same here with visiting too. Not that I have anyone I'd go visit but so many people are so lonely and unable to see family it's horrid. Love your background - it looks gorgeous and good luck with your atc swaps. thanks for visiting and your lovely comments about my journals. Helen #5

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope the bill gets passed. I think it’s terrible for residents and loved ones and they are still not opening up even though the residents have had both jabs. I under the need for precautions, but there must have been another way. Have a creative week Angela #17

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry you're not the only one that starts a project and then gets distracted by something else because I do that all the time which is why my desk is often covered in stuff. Like you I think there are arguments for and against being able to see family members in hospital but I do understand why it's difficult. We lost my father to Vovid in April last year and mum is in a Nursing home at the moment. I hope they will come up with some safe way that you can visit. Wishing you a very creative week and a happy woyww, Angela x19x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do hope that you will get to see your mum in person soon if the bill passes Felicia. Loving all the projects you have on the go - I like the black space around the gorgeous mandala pattern - it sets htings off beautifully and draws the eye in. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your ATC background! It'll make some fab cards for sure. Hope you will share them when you make them. We do file taxes here, and lucky us, as we have dual citizenship we have to file both UK AND US taxes, and Virginia state tax too. Oh joy! I cannot wait for the vaccine to really start making a difference. My son is in LA now, and if he came back to the UK for a visit he would first have to spend 10 days in a quarantine hotel (at his expense) before he could see us. Like you I know why these measures are in place, and I do support them, but I miss my son A LOT and really wish things were moving a lOT faster. Good luck - I hope you can see her soon, safely.

    Catching up with the later linkers :D
    Mary Anne (1)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - you have so much lovely arty crafty stuff on the go! The ATC background looks fab. I do hope you get to see your Mum soon. It has been a truly heart breaking time for so many. Sending you a big virtual hug. xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the background cut into ATCs is a super way to do it, hope the SWAP groups don't overwhelm you this year, and here's to seeing your Mum soon. Mine disowned me Dec 2019 so I haven't had any of that stress this past year, such is life eh!
    Thanks for the visit BJ#13

    ReplyDelete
  13. Must be hard not being able to see your mum - hope things buck up soon for you.
    Great work on your desk today - love the dotty picture on the left (I can see that one clearly) and would love to see a close up of it another week.
    Great pieces you got cut for you - how lucky are you to have someone do that.
    Talking of ATC's - one of the groups - was it by any chance Marjie's group that you were asked to join?
    Hugs, Neet 12 xx
    ps the Geisha is now going to be done on a sheet of A3 rather than a journal - I did n't want a join across the top of her head where the pages met.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post, Felicia. Your mandala design is stunning - I'd love to see a close-up of that! Very striking against the black background. And all those nice wood shapes to decorate, too. I love the background piece you created for ATCs as well. I do hope the legislation goes through OK so that families can meet up again. The photo of your mum is gorgeous! She looks really lovely

    Thank you for your visit - I must apologise for not having replied yet to your lovely email, which I have every intention of doing - it's just been a really busy week. Thank you for it. Thank you also for your lovely comment on my blog. The kitties are very amusing, aren't they! I am glad you are enjoying the progress of the cat throw. I joined two of the squares together this afternoon - I've discovered a lovely way of doing it that is going to enhance the look of the squares. More news on this next week! Also I'm glad you liked the birthday card I made, despite the shadow being upside down! I could have kicked myself when I realised. I remember making a card with a friend once with butterflies on it, and I got it upside down, and we called the butterflies kamikaze butterflies lol! Suicide dive bombers!

    I agree with you that the powers that be think they can get away with anything and everything when we don't make a fuss. If you do nothing, they take this as compliance and I believe they often test the waters to see just how far they can go. The level of compliance in the world today is truly terrifying...

    Anyway, I got some sort of a result from the hospital as a consequence of my keeping on at them for months and months, and my favourite yoghurt is back in the supermarket, so "Mrs. Always Makes a Fuss" has proved herself haha!

    Regarding the overnight oats, I should think it would work with the steel cut ones but you'd have to try. I think I'm right in saying that they are the equivalent of the UK "medium oatmeal" which is more like little grains than the flat shape of the rolled oats. My grandfather used to make porridge from the medium oatmeal and it had a more gritty texture than the standard porridge (rolled) oats and it came out quite thick. It may require a longer soaking time. I haven't tried it so an experiment seems in order! This morning I had run out of the smoothie bowl topping for my chia oat pudding so I just added loads of fresh fruit, nuts and seeds and it was delicious. I shall make some more tomorrow.

    Have a great week. Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #21

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Felicia, that is so sad, not being able to see your mum. I'm sure you will make up for it when you can see her. So you decided not to join any ATC groups this year- and ended up in 3? Probably a good job you didn't decide to take part in one or two, or goodness knows how many you would be in! I love all our good intentions that last, hmm what- about 10 minutes? Looking forward to seeing what happens with the skull and the owl - I'm sure they will both be amazing! On the tax front I can say, we have a pretty simple system - if we are in a regular job, tax is deducted at source and we don't get a tax bill. Self employed it's different. My Canadian sis once tried to explain to me, but we gave up and opened a bottle of wine instead! Have a lovely week, Heather xx #25

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Felicia! I do hope you will be able to see your mum soon. Let's hope that bill gets passed!
    I too get sidetracked very easily and there's always so many interesting things to make a start on! That's a lovely ATC background.
    Happy WOYWW! Just catching up with the posts I didn't see the other day...
    Susan #2

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of lovely work going on this week, the background for the ATC's looks fabulous and I can't wait to see what you create with it. I do hope the Bill gets passed for you, it's been a dreadful and heart breaking time for so many people. That's a lovely photo of your mum and I do hope you get to see her soon.
    Have a creative week and sorry for being so late getting round,
    Diana xx #20

    ReplyDelete
  18. Breaks my heart to hear about your mum - yes there are arguments for either view but it must have been like torture this last year for people in care homes. I know that my mum has 'aged' this last year - she isn't on her own, she lives with my sister, but they both have issues so have been shielding. She was also halfway thru having cataracts done when this happenned so hasn't even been able to see well this whole time. I do go over and chat from the garden but it is not the same.

    I am loving your dot art. I somehow don't think I'd have the patience though. Like you I always seemed to have a zillion things on the go but this last year I've just started focussing on one thing until it is done. The consequence seems to be that I'm getting slower and slower....I think I would rather have my butterfly mind back. Happy belated WOYWW - I have stopped trying to get round in one day, it doesn't work for me right now. But no rules eh? Have a good week, stay well, stay safe, Cindy #18 xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it when I can enlarge the photos. Love your desk and the fun propped up art is gorgeous. Oh the Covid. such regulations we have also, I've said I was blessed when mother died Feb just before Covid I'd have really struggled not being able to visit. Her Alzheimer's took the best of her, but she was my best friend and wonderful MOM. I struggle, but she's in a better place. I send mail to many of her friends still dealing with no one. AND I think next week 1 visitor is allowed. Hugs to you and your mom. ENJOY your time with her. She is beautiful. A little late with the visit, but between 2 days of router issues and time away I'm still trying to get printers in sync.

    ReplyDelete