Wednesday, November 15, 2017

WOYWW #441

Good Wednesday all my crafty friends! It's the day of the week that we play along with Julia over on Stamping Ground and share what is on our desk! We'd love for you to travel all over the world with us as you gaze upon others's desk basking in their creativity! And, of course, share your goodies!!

Today, I am going to share a very special craft that I have made for my sister for her birthday! I've shared in the past how I craft just for fun and to gift others. So, of course, I like to share with my sister, whom I am very close with, to get her sweet encouragement and thumbs up. Well, she has seen my cross crafts (that I LOVE to make and bless others with) going out and so one day she says, "hey, where's my cross (with a little sad face, lol)?" She would always tell me how much she loved them, but it never dawned on me that she may want one?? I know....some folks it takes a brick!! LOLOL

So here is my cross that I made her!
So much love went into this gift because, as I said, we are very close, but this sweet spirit has been there for me like no other. When I was lost in this world we live in, she prayed for me like no other! And she NEVER let up! God puts those warriors in your life to stand in the gap when you don't have the strength to stand yourself! That's God's great love for us! I'm so thankful to Him and her! So, OF COURSE, I had to make her a cross for her birthday! :)

I started this cross by collaging scraps from my bin, which is one of my fave things to do! I get COMPLETELY messy when I collage, but that's what crafting is about for me and then the end result is TOTALLY worth it! As I was doing so, my eldest daughter came in my craft closet and wanted to know what I was doing....flying a kite, I said...ha ha ha....but I was stoked that she wanted to know because she doesn't usually want to know about my crafts. So upon hearing my story, she said, hey, why don't you use this stencil in some way! Well, as she doesn't usually participate, I said OF COURSE I WILL!! So I used some heavy gesso and put through that stencil right down the front, dried it and then gave the whole thing a coat of light gesso.
Afterwards, I pulled out some Lindy's sprays in various colors and the sprayed a fixative over it because I wanted to do other layers of acrylics, caran d'ache and rubs and didn't want things to move. When I was satisfied, I pulled out my other bin with assorted embellishments to find my center pieces. She is such an amazing woman of God, so with that thought, one of the wonderful words I would use to describe her is JOY!! She is so full of the joy of the Lord inside that it oozes right on out to the outside! I love being around that and grab every bit that I can! :) She's someone I admire and aspire to be like! I found a few more yummy embellishments  to create the center piece and voila!

It's finally feeling like "fall" here, although the verdict is still out! Mother Natures loves to play her tricks on us here and tomorrow could be back to 80! LOL But we will keep our fingers crossed. Fall, beckons me to pull out my beautiful Dulcimer and strum away. I don't pull it out as often as I should, but I bought it during a fall trip, so I guess that's why I put fall and dulcimer together! Along with turkey and dressing!!! LOL We leave Sunday to go on our annual Thanksgiving camping trip, so I know I will not be playing along next week due to no service and just general camping laziness! LOL But here's a strum out to everyone that you will have a most wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving as you reflect with friends and family! I for one am VERY THANKFUL for all of my online crafty friends! 

Blessings to you ALL!

31 comments:

  1. your cross is absolutely gorgeous!!! love it. i know she will too. your dulcimer reminded me of my brother and the dulcimer that he made for himself from scratch. it's beautiful and sounds just wonderful. he plays his in the fall too. have a great week and happy thanksgiving to you and yours!! hugs, patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patty! You are always such an encourager! I can't imagine making a dulcimer from scratch, but I know that he treasures it even more because he did! I love mine and the sound is amazing! I am not a great player, but I love fussing around with it! There is literally NO ONE around here who plays a dulcimer so I have taught myself, via YouTube, and I just wing it! I wish I had a dulcimer pal! You have a very blessed Thanksgiving Patty and thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. The cross you have made is beautiful and more so for all the love that has gone into it, and your daughter had some input too so that makes it even more special. It really is a beautiful keepsake for her to have to remind her of the love you both share with The Lord.
    Thanks for visiting me and I am so glad you liked my hat.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Neet, you made my heart smile! Thank you so much for your kind words. What a blessings! Thank you as well for stopping by and many blessings right back to you!

      Delete
  3. Your cross is absolutely gorgeous and I know your sweet sister will love it! Don't you love it when our children take interest in us as a person not just as mom. I am curious about the cross base. Is it something you created or wood or ? Dorlene #32

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dorlene! And YES, I do love when she sees "me" and not "mom!" LOL Which is not often, but I will take what I can get! LOL The cross base is wood. I go to Hobby Lobby when they are having a sale on there wood craft pieces and buy up different size crosses at that time because I love doing them for people. They have all kind. Thick, thin, big, small! Have fun Dorlene and thanks so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. Your cross is just gorgeous!!!! Your sister will be thrilled as should anyone who receives something this beautiful! And that you play the Dulcimer is pretty cool, too! Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!
    Carol N #23

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Carol! I loved making it for her! I play "at" the dulcimer! LOLOL But it's still fun! Thanks for stopping in! :) Blessings

      Delete
  5. Wow the cross is stunning! I'm sure she will love it. Your post really cheered me up.
    Have a good day
    Ellie #19

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Ellie! I'm glad to bring cheer! Thank you so much for stopping in! Blessings

      Delete
  6. Hi Felicia, That cross for your sister is beautiful. She will treasure it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sue #18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are so welcome Sue! Thank you for your encouragement and the return visit! Blessings

      Delete
  7. What a fascinating post, Felicia - your cross is stunning - love all the beautiful colours and textures and all the sentiments and love that go behind the creation of this beautiful project. As for the dulcimer, what a fascinating instrument, and how beautiful it is. I'd simply love to hear you play!

    Thank you for your sweet comment and for your always welcome encouragement and love! Glad you enjoyed our naughty kitten antics and my socks, which I am so enjoying making!

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi #9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shoshi! I'm so glad for your visit! I'm trying to get to your blog more and more these days because I have always loved your posts!! And.....your craft room! I STILL want to craft in its gorgeousness! Yes the dulcimer is a beautiful instrument! This one is a pretty basic dulcimer that I had built for me as I started out playing, but I have contacted a Luthier who custom builds them and I want to have another built with more pizzazz!! LOLOL We will see how that goes! LOLOL Thank you so much for stopping in and I look forward to more "naughty kitty" antics! LOLOL Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. well done Felicia, that cross looks stunning. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Helen! Best wishes to you and thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  9. A very nice gift for your sister. I am sure she will treasure it.

    Monica #26

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica and thank you for dropping by my blog! Blessings

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous cross, bet your sister will be well pleased with it. I have never seen that instrument before and I love it, will have to look it up as I'm interested to find out how it sounds. Thanks for the visit to mine and happy woyww, Angela x11x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela! Yes, DO look it up! It is such a gorgeous sound...at least to me! I heard it up in the mountains one time when I was camping and couldn't get it out of my mind and stopped and asked someone what it was and they said the Mountain Dulcimer! I was hooked! I researched it for about a year, found a Luthier to build me one and the rest is history! I had to find an instrument that I could play without having to read music, because I can't....ha ha! And this was a score. You can read tablature and play like a charm! Its so much fun to play and my hubby likes it too, which is a double score! LOL Thanks for stopping in! Blessings

      Delete
  11. The card for your sister is absolutely beautiful - what a lovely idea, and I'm sure it will be greatly treasured.
    Sorry I'm so late getting round, I hope you have a great week and many thanks for stopping by my desk earlier,
    Diana x #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diana! I feel blessed with that encouragement coming from YOU because I am a HUGE fan of your craftiness! Thank you for stopping in and leaving a comment! Have a blessed rest of the week!

      Delete
  12. Such a gorgeous cross Felicia! And such a beautifully ,generous gift to make for your beautiful generous sister- I love that you two are so close and you shared this with us! Makes my heart smile!
    Hey, sometime, would you make a quick video of you playing while you are relaxing at home and share it with us? I would love to hear your dulcimer as I am sure your other readers would!
    Have a wonderful trip and a blessed Thanksgiving!
    xo Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you my dear friend! I am truly blessed to have her as a sister, but God saw fit to bless me with 6 sisters, so I am REALLY blessed! LOL Now, about your request....I will see what I can do. First of all I am NOT tech savvy at all and I dont think I would even know how to do a video and put it on my blog???? Seriously, I'm not joking! And second of all, I am not sure that ANYBODY would want to hear my music! I "play at it," as opposed to really playing! I have taught myself what I know (which isn't a whole lot) because NO ONE around here plays or knows what a dulcimer is! It's so hard because I would love to have a "hands on" help with learning! I have done a LOT of YouTube to figure out what I do know. So I will have to think about it a WHOLE lot and then I will have to have my tech savvy daughters help me with the blog! LOL Sad isn't it? Thank you for throwing that out there, that is the sweetest thing ever! Much hugs to you Jackie! :)

      Delete
    2. ANDDD.....Happy Thanksgiving to you hubby and Chum! :) xoxo

      Delete
  13. Adore the cross, think I need to make a sad face in your direction LOL. Nice to see a dulcimer, never seen one in the flesh but heard a lot about them. I am learning the harp and have just got back into lessons after a years gap. (please don't reply to me on your page as I'm afraid I won't see it as I'd have no way of knowing it is here). Cold so much better this week, foot still sore and hot flashes are getting interesting. Thanks for the visit BJ#7

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a dulcimer? That's amazing - there must be a story behind how you came to own what is a very unusual instrument. Did you do reenactment or something? I've never seen one in real life, was it tricky to pick up? I ask because I'm always interested in how other people make music - I play piano, cello, tuba and baroque recorder but would like to still learn the drums and bagpipes!! The cross for your sister is beautiful by the way, I'm sure she'll treasure it.
    Hugs LLJ 15 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful cross; so much love and thought behind it. I love the thought of your dulcimer being played round a camp fire. Enjoy your trip. Happy WOYWW Sarah #10

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Felicia. That cross is stunning - a beautiful gift for such a woman of God! Well done. Do you know, I don't think I have ever seen a dulcimer... strummed? plucked? picked? How do you play it? Is it tuned like a modern guitar so you can play chords, or do you play single notes? Uh-oh - there asks the musician in me - sorry!
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #2

    ReplyDelete
  17. well Felicia, I can feel the love in that cross from here; your sister will be thrilled and thankful, no doubt at all. We dont have thanksgiving here, but I wish you a lovely, lazy happy week of camping and turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this looks fantastic, Felicia! All those textures and colours, right down to the center piece are pure perfection. Your sister will be totally in love with this, I'm sure, especially that you poured your heart into it! So sorry I couldn't visit earlier - I didn't make WOYWW last week. Wishing you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow! xx

    ReplyDelete