Wednesday, January 20, 2021

WOYWW #607

Good Wednesday all my crafty friends!! So last week was a big gluttonous post, so I will try to keep that to a minimum this week! LOL I still have the whirlpool of ideas swirling around in my noggin and have been trading out projects around my craft desk as one dries, I work on the other. You all know how that goes! I'll share a couple today over on Julia's blog for WOYWW this week. Click on over and join!

So this first photo was actually from the weekend as I was working on my cross-project.  I love crosses and have done projects with them over the years, either painting, collaging, or sort of steampunking for loved ones, and also sent them to people as RAK's who may have been going through a hard time or sick.  It really is a labor of love and fun to boot! This time, however, I wanted to pull out the dot arting and try that on them. I love to dot art, although I am not very skilled at it because as I am sure you are aware, that is something you have to keep at to get better, just like anything. Well, I do things for a minute then move on to the next "brilliant" idea!!! So......I never get better at it! LOLOL Then, I think of it again and here we are! LOL Yes, that is a sneak peek inside my chaotic brain!

Getting started!

So I had a handful of crosses, that I keep in my stash for said occasions, and started with these two. The smaller one is chunkier, which I like, and the larger one is thinner and had a little raised area on it as well. Right now, to monopolize on all things COVID, wood is hard to come by. Or at least in my area it is, so my internet search has come up short as well. But luckily, I have a sister that also crafts with wood (you will remember my Project Mom Christmas project) and she has agreed to cut various sizes for me as well as some other images so that I can dot them as well. This is me getting a head start on Christmas 2021! LOL

So this is the finished smaller piece that I just kept really simple. I think it turned out pretty good and now I will tackle the big one. Thank goodness for Pinterest that we can find a plethora of color and pattern ideas! What I did find out is that over my two-year hiatus from crafting that a lot of my paints dried out (BIG surprise, huh? LOL) so I didn't have a lot of colors that I wanted. THEREFORE......uhhh ohhhh, that's NEVER good....hee hee.... I HAD to order more! We really should call our hobby a sickness!!! LOLOLOL However........once again, and even more so, paint is REALLY hard to come by right now! It really is astonishing to me! So I did order some and hopefully, they will be coming in this week! Good thing about this project, since it's also involving Christmas this year, I can't just "think" about it and move on, it will be ongoing this year. So, maybe I'll learn something! LOL

This other project on my desk late last night is one that I have been wanting to do for a while and just now getting around to it. As you know, I love watercolor and discovered that I like to watercolor on book page, so tada....new project! I have been scouring second-hand stores for old books that spoke to me. Specifically, I am looking for an old ledger, you know, like shops used to use for accounting before the computer! Well, they are either a hot commodity or people just toss them when done because I can't seem to find one. I saw some on ebay, but apparently, they LOVE their ledgers because they want a mint for them. My pocket was thinking a couple of bucks at best! LOL So, I'll keep searching!

Anybody with paint ideas on book cover? Let me know!

In the meantime, I found this great book written by George Washington about his expense account and have taken several pages out of each signature so that it's not so thick and it would lay flat when I paint. I love this book! I almost hated ripping it apart because it was very interesting, but went on with it anyway! Since then, I have gesso'd the cover and it's at the ready for paint! Hopefully next week I can show you the finished product! I'm excited to have this journal that will be designated for my watercolor painting flowers and nature. Neat idea, huh? Fun at any rate!

Several posts ago, I shared that my daughter brought me some flower sunshine surprise and last week, she and her precious boyfriend showed up at work with another parcel of love! She truly is a dolly and seems to know just when her mama needs a little extra love and encouragement. It's never been something that I had to have often, although I do love flowers, but it's extra special when your babies shower you with love! I'm a blessed mom for sure!

Love from my dolly!

Well, that's it for me this week guys! I do pray you all are staying safe and healthy and I will try to get around to everyone and see what you are doing on your desk! Happy Wednesday!

Blessings

18 comments:

  1. Your dotted cross is absolutely beautiful - what a lovely technique. I definitely know what you mean about doing one project for a while and moving on to another technique!
    I hope you have a good week and stay safe and well,
    Diana xx #15

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Crosses are gorgeous, love them. Glad I'm not the only one that flits from one project to another. I love a technique when I'm doing it but then have to move on to something different. Pleased to see you keeping busy. We are so lucky to have such interests and great friends to share it with. Take care and have a lovely creative woyww, Angela x14x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crosses look gorgeous, Felicia! enjoy decorating the cover of the book. What beautiful flowers your daughter brought you. take care and stay safe. Helen #4

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Felicia. The crosses are lovely - well done. Stick with it and enjoy! The flowers are beautiful - and yes, it's lovely and very special when our children do such great things for us. Mine keep sending "good ideas" of books or puzzles or chocolate, at the moment. Mind you - I keep sending them parcels, too!!
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your post - What a wonderfully craft, arty girl you are - full of creative ideas too. The crosses are lovely - a great technique, beautifully accomplished. Well done to Dolly and the flowers - they are gorgeous. Stay safe. xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crosses and flowers are gorgeous. Hope you find a book you really like.
    Thanks for popping by and stay healthy!
    Carol N #25

    ReplyDelete
  7. those crosses are brilliant Felicia and of course you had to buy more paint, what can you do with dried up stuff (am I doing well here?!) That’s a great idea to watercolour into book pages, I might copy your idea and have a go. Hope you manage to find the ledgers, isn’t it always the case that when you’re looking for something specific you can never find it!
    Hugs LLJ 16 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just completed a comment, Felicia, and then touched something and it all disappeared! So maddening.

    Anyway, I absolutely love your painted crosses - such a great technique, and I am quite sure they make brilliant gifts for anyone going through any sort of problems. Lovely flowers, too.

    Thank you for your visit, and I'm so glad you enjoyed Blending with Henry and Chef AJ. Chef AJ was the one who first got me going on whole-food plant-based living. She has had an amazing life with a lot of suffering, and is now giving back to the world big-time. She's quite a lady. I hope you enjoy both recipes. I am loving my Vitamix!

    I absolutely agree with you about Covid. How you put it reminded me of Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind" - "War, war..." she got fed up with everyone talking about it, didn't she! Thank you for your good wishes regarding my struggles with the hospital. I can't see the operation happening in the foreseeable future - more like years than months at this rate.

    I don't find my hubby's monotasking a problem - it is a huge source of amusement to me and a great opportunity for teasing! I'm afraid I do laugh at him quite a lot, and if he gets cross, it just makes me laugh all the more! He does take himself much too seriously!

    Happy WOYWW and God bless, and keep smiling!
    Shoshi x #23

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your crosses they are stunning, you are talent, They will make great gift,

    Take care and stay safe ,

    Lilian B #19

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crosses look amazing Felicia. Hope you manage to find a ledger at a reasonable price. Lovely flowers too. Look forward to seeing how your watercolouring book project goes. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #3

    ReplyDelete
  11. (Well it went without a hitch so I was really happy and it was a wonderful occasion, well thought out and conducted beautifully.)
    Love those crosses, what a fun thing to do but I know what you mean about your chaotic mind - I have one too and believe me the older your get the more chaotic it gets as memory failure starts to kick in too.
    I too have looked for an old ledger but to no avail, I guess they just get thrown out eventually but imagine finding a really old one with spidery writing as done with an old pen - what a delight. Just like your flowers - some good girl you have there.
    Stay Safe & Well, Hugs, Neet 5 xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Felicia! the crosses look amazing! I made a cross for a friend several years ago - it reminds of the one I made, although I didn't do dots. What a nice gift of flowers in the middle of winter! Thanks for your earlier visit, have a great week! Lindart #29

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Felicia, your cross is stunning. What do you use to make the dots? They will make beautiful presents. I have to say I have never seen a ledger at the charity shops, I have looked for them on EBay and they are pricey. I often pick up an old book (or two), unfortunately there have been no charity shops visits for months! Have a great week Angela #6

    ReplyDelete
  14. What you did to those crosses is phenomenal, Felicia! Your dots are so uniform it's hard to believe they're paint dots and not little jewels. I can see the embossing tools you used, which I have somewhere, so I can have a go! I agree, it's difficult to find old books that "speak to you" I spent months looking for one in charity shops and in the end I bought one but I couldn't really make the connection with it, so I'm just using it for collage. Can't wait to see what you make with yours! Gorgeous flowers received from your little girl - it's good to know that you're being spoilt - what a little treasure she is! Take care and stay safe and thanks so much for your visit! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving the crosses! Stunning. Happy Belated WOYWW. Take care and stay safe. With love & God Bless, Caro xxx (#8)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Felicia, oh goodness me, I must have binned dozens of those ledger books over the years! I love your crosses, they are absolutely stunning. And the flowers from your daughter are beautiful. It is indeed very special when our precious daughters surprise us. Have a lovely week, Heather xx 28

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the dotted cross and look forward to seeing next step in the journal. I always find it hard to rip a book into bookpaper - but needs must...
    Beautiful flowers!
    Happy WOYWW!
    Stay safe and keep well!
    Susan #12
    Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!


    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh bother, I think I must have gone out to lunch (in my brain) as I was convinced I'd commented but can't find one!! So love the grosses super job and the flowers are such a blessing. Thanks for the visit BJ#13

    ReplyDelete